St Andrews, Scotland, May 6: The 2020 Women’s Amateur Latin America Championship presented by The R&A and the ANNIKA Foundation has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The inaugural event was due to take place in Argentina from 3-6 September 2020 at Pilar Golf in Buenos Aires but will now be played from 2-5 September 2021 at the same venue.
The championship is being introduced to support the growth and development of amateur golf for women and girls in the region and will provide the winner with exemptions into the AIG Women’s British Open and The Women’s Amateur Championship.
Mark Lawrie, Director – Latin America and the Caribbean at The R&A, said, “The safety of players and officials is our utmost priority and with so much uncertainty as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic we decided it would not be appropriate to stage the championship this year.
“I would like to thank Pilar Golf for its support and understanding in making this decision and we will now look forward to working with the club and the ANNIKA Foundation to stage the championship for the region’s top women’s amateur golfers next year.”
Annika Sorenstam said, “We were excited to launch this special event in September but look forward to an even better event in 2021. I cherish the work we have accomplished with The R&A in Latin America and look forward to hosting the region’s top talent next year.”
In February, the R&A announced that it had postponed the Women’s Amateur Asia-Pacific Championship, which was to be played at the Siam Country Club in Pattaya, Thailand.
The Women’s Amateur Asia-Pacific was founded by the R&A and Asia-Pacific Golf Confederation in 2018. Its winner earns exemptions into the AIG Women’s British Open and the Evian Championship as well as an invitation to the Augusta National Women’s Amateur.
Revised schedule of 2020 Amateur Championships
A week ago, on April 30, the R&A updated its schedule for its 2020 amateur championships and international matches. The revised schedule is as follows:
- The R&A Girls’ Amateur Championship will be played from 11-15 August at Southport & Ainsdale as scheduled
- The R&A Boys’ Amateur Championship will be played from 11-16 August at Moortown and Alwoodley as scheduled
- The R&A Women’s Senior Amateur Championship will be played from 19-21 August at Ashridge as scheduled
- The Women’s Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 23-27 June to 25-29 August at Kilmarnock (Barassie)
- The Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 15-20 June to 25-30 August at Royal Birkdale and West Lancashire
- The R&A Senior Amateur Championship has been rescheduled from 29-31 July to 23-25 September at Royal Cinque Ports, Deal
These plans are dependent on the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic and the R&A said it will continue to follow the guidance from the UK Government, health authorities and our own medical consultants.
The R&A Junior Open, which was due to be played from 13-15 July at Littlestone, has been cancelled.
With the exception of the Curtis Cup, which has been postponed until 2021, all other international matches scheduled in 2020 have been cancelled and these are as follows:
- The St Andrews Trophy (in agreement with the EGA)
- The R&A Boys’ Home Internationals
- The R&A Women’s and Girls’ Home Internationals
- The Junior Vagliano Trophy and The Jacques Leglise Trophy (in agreement with the EGA)
- The R&A Men’s and Women’s Senior Home Internationals