ASI Scottish will mark return of women’s golf in August but sans fans

Team Golf XYZ

Aberdeen, Scotland, July 8: The 2020 Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open will mark a return of professional women’s golf to Scotland for the first time since Europe’s remarkable triumph in the 2019 Solheim Cup last September. The Scottish Open will be held from Aug 13 – 16 at The Renaissance Club in North Berwick,

The tournament will however go ahead without spectators as a made for TV event following close consultation and collaboration with the Scottish Government, Aberdeen Standard Investments, VisitScotland, the LPGA and the LET, fully adhering to internationally recognised COVID-19 protocol and subject to necessary formal approvals of athlete quarantine exemptions.

The decision to move forward with the 2020 Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open has been taken only once organisers and stakeholders could ensure delivery of an event with all relevant safeguarding and protocols in place.

The tournament has a robust operational plan, which has been established with medical and health and safety specialists to make sure that all appropriate measures are in place that meet the high standards required by the Scottish Government as well as adhering to all WHO guidelines.

Scotland’s Catriona Matthew, an Aberdeen Standard Investments ambassador, said: “We are all happy to hear that women’s golf will be getting back underway in Scotland and especially grateful to Aberdeen Standard Investments and VisitScotland for working so hard to make this happen and putting all the necessary COVID-19 related practices in place and for being so supportive of the women’s tours.”

The victorious 2019 Solheim Cup Captain continued, “With men’s professional golf back playing, it is important that we are able to follow suit, so this is really excellent news for the women’s game and I am delighted to be preparing for my national open in just over a month’s time.”

British No.1 Charley Hull added, “The massive impact of COVID-19 has definitely put golf in perspective but I know all the players will be very thankful that Aberdeen Standard Investments, VisitScotland and IMG have worked so hard to make it possible for these events to be played. I know for sure that all the players, like me, have really missed competing and, although I will miss playing in front of the fans, hopefully they will enjoy watching on the TV and get behind us on social media.”

Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture, said: “The ability to host a tournament of the stature of the Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open is great news for Scotland and is only possible thanks to the hard work of the many partners involved to develop the safety plans necessary to allow this fantastic event to take place.

“The Scottish Government is committed to equality in sport and society, and I am therefore particularly pleased that we are able to support the return of female professional golf to Scotland, building on the last year’s enormously successful Solheim Cup. I’m sure that audiences across the world will be enthralled by the stunning East Lothian coastline and views of one of the country’s top courses. I hope that will inspire many to visit when the time is right and offer a morale boost for Scots to see the return of international events to our shores.”

 

Vinkmag ad

Read Previous

Return to Golf at Memorial without ‘return of fans’ at the “Course that Jack built”

Read Next

Asia-Pacific Amateur in Australia cancelled, will return in 2021

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!