SSP Chawrasia. File Picture
New Delhi, Aug 2: India’s star golfer SSP Chawrasia, who was planning to leave for London to play on the UK Swing, where Shubhankar Sharma has already been in action, got a rude shock ahead of his trip.
The 42-year-old golfer, who had no major symptoms, had to still take a Covid-19 test, before flying out, as per regulations. Thee shock came when his test turned positive.
Speaking from his home, where he has been quarantined, Chawrasia said, “I did not have symptoms. All was normal but I had to have a test because that is needed to fly out. The test turned out to be positive and I have been advised home quarantine.” His wife, Simantini will also be going for a test.
Chawrasia is a six-time winner on Asian Tour and four of his titles were in events co-sanctioned with the European Tour.
“I have been given medicines and am at home. It will take the usual two weeks or so before I am able to go out and then I will work out my plans,” he said.
Chawrasia had been taking all precautions as he resumed training at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club. He had also been helping out those affected by the cyclone in Bengal.
Chawrasia’s four European Tour wins included back-to-back wins on the Hero. Indian Open in 2016 and 2017.
Right now Shubhankar Sharma is the only other Indian participating in Europe, while Arjun Atwal is playing in the US. Anirban Lahiri, who has been in India since March, is expected to leave for US soon.
This season Chawrasia has played four events on the European Tour, but all of them were in Asia. He made the cut in all four with a best finish of T-22 in Hong Kong, while he was T-32 in Singapore, T-25 in Oman and T-28 in Qatar, before golf events around the world came to a half because of Covid-19.